Search This Blog

Friday, December 9, 2011

Rhythms Flow as Aging Pianist Finds New Audience

Wow, I'm going to have so much fun with this post.






Here is the link to the article.


     "Life kept time to a nursing home’s beat." What a fantastic sentence. I bet this man has an incredible amount of knowledge. He lived through the golden age of jazz, when gurus such as Miles, 'Trane, Byrd, Goodman, Hawkins, Zawinul, Adderley, Rich, and an infinite amount of others. If I could only talk to him. I would of course need endless amount of things to ask, and I'm sure he could talk forever. This is one of the things I wish to do before I die: talk to an experienced old time jazz musician who was not famous or maybe never gigged at all. I am saddened that I will not meet this man. I want to know his best and worst times and everything in between because as a musician, having a man like this to instruct would be invaluable.
     I thought the article was well-written, which is odd because thus far I haven't found anything in the Times that I thought worth mentioning. However, I believe the author shares my want to hear this man play (live, not in the video), to play with him, and to learn a little too. The author clearly enjoyed writing the article, which I think is all that matters most. Forget rhetoric, forget Everyday Use, just write out of passion. I thought it a fine specimen, and it is worth reading, even for non-musicians.

1 comment: