Search This Blog

Friday, December 16, 2011

‘Like’ Facebook? Count Them Out

Here is the link to the article.


     Actually, this compilation raises a few surprising points. Sure, Facebook has some advantages, as outlined in the article and anything else that doesn't need saying. However, I will agree with the article that FB brings about more drama, hatefulness, and cyber bullying than any other website. It is sad; what was meant to be a way to reconnect with friends has turned into a battle-royale of popularity. It makes me infuriated to see anything negative on any website. Another thing that really grinds my gears is when people post rap lyrics constantly. For every Lil' Wayne lyric I see, I remove one Facebook friend. One thing about Facebook that puzzles me (because I do it too) is the tendency to add people who aren't even your friends. I'll say "Oh, that person is a couple years older than me and I saw them in the hall once. Add!" I've actually been meaning to clean out my friends list, but here is the thing: it's not even worth it. I don't care about having them on my friends list or not. It is what it is, and I don't care a bit about the majority of my 400 Facebook friends. It goes against the theory posed by Dunbar. I really just don't get it, and I'm guilty of it myself.
     There is little value to the article language-wise. I didn't get anything of substance out of it. It did, however, further solidify my theory that college students feel the need to try to prove they are smarter than everyone else, and thus they become arrogant and a certain adjective I cannot write on a school blog that begins with a "d". An average article, it makes me think about how so many hours are wasted on social media when they could be doing something productive, such as an instrument or reading a book, or maybe even homework.

1 comment: