Search This Blog

Monday, December 5, 2011

The Eight Wonders of the Solar System


Here is the link to the article.

     Expect many more posts from this magazine! I've been reading from here all day because it is all compelling. I need to stop and actually write a bit about at least one of these outstanding science articles. I chose this one because it had a catchy title and I figured that since they are "of the Solar System," I would see something new. Also, the format was quite refreshing. It was an interactive exploration. It would give you a background picture, a description of what the wonder was, and a video elaborating it. It was quite interesting, so I decided to blog it.
     My favorite wonder is Mariner Valley, found on Venus. It is the largest canyon in the Solar System. It is as deep as Everest. I absolutely love the question the author poses in describing it: "People have been known to fall to their knees and weep at the sight of Arizona's Grand Canyon. One wonders what the first traveler to the Mariner Valley will do when gazing into this canyon." If I were to visit someday, I would marvel for days on end and start worshiping it. It would cause me to reconsider my life and existence. I am convinced I would determine the meaning of life. Anything would be possible, much like anything is possible in the expanse of space. The writer uses mainly pathos, making the reader yearn to venture into the final frontier and see it with their own eyes. If I got the chance to experience any of the wonders, I would consider my life a success.

1 comment:

  1. Space is always interesting stuff. This makes me think of the planet out there that is just like Earth. Life on another planet would certainly be a wonder.

    ReplyDelete