Search This Blog

Monday, December 12, 2011

How to Act Like a Psychopath Without Really Trying

     The first person I thought of for this was Captain Nemo of  Twenty-Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. This is probably because I recently finished it, but either way, he is a shining example of the perfect psychopath. He actively abandoned the society that for so long he called home to destroy it and seek his revenge. This qualifies Nemo as a loony. He is remote but chooses to show himself when and where he pleases. He is a genius, has read his entire library, and has a museum aboard his purely electrically powered submarine which he designed. What an animal. Oh yeah, he kills people. He attacks them mercilessly with his submarine. They don't stand a chance, and he lives for it. How unfortunate; he seemed like such a nice guy. He is one of the rare people who are truly psychopaths. He also fits the claims that extreme wealth isolates people. Anyhow, that was the first thing that came to my mind, and it was all I could think about the whole time I was reading it.
     I had little to gripe about linguistically in the article. I thought the author did a fine job conveying their message. I notice a large amount of logos was used. Since I've been looking for it, I have only found logos as the dominant corner of the triangle in this magazine. In fairness, it is a science magazine. Overall, an interesting read for all.

Link to the article.

1 comment: