Search This Blog

Sunday, December 18, 2011

Reader Response Blog: Bless Me, Ultima 2

     There is something that is eating away at me again. I have come to hate the people of the story because of the crazy amount of superstition in their lives. They can't go a page without saying that God will smite them for killing the carp or really doing anything at all. Okay, that might be an exaggeration, but I really dislike people of false faiths. No man was ever turned into a carp. And don't tell me it is just part of a rich culture because there is NOTHING even remotely interesting about any of these beliefs. I have always hated studying religions because I find it uninteresting and it is a waste of my time. I am not going to rant on religion again and I don't care if you're offended or not, I just don't want to hear you whine about how something is against your religion. As for the crazy amount of symbols in the book, I do not buy into most of them. The carp is nothing special, the mermaid is kind of weird, and the dolls are cliché. Yes Tim, I am a hater. I hate this book. It isn't doing anything to make me want to read the next page. Unfortunately, I must press on to finish the other two blogs. I would have dropped this book so long ago if I was reading it outside of school.
     The Spanish still bugs me. However, there is nothing I can do about it, so I still sit with a translator. The phrases still amuse me. It seems like nothing has changed or progressed. However, I do not find any of the English particularly insightful or moving. When we were handed the books, I read the back and it said something about the book having gorgeous prose. It does not have anything that would confirm those claims. However, I haven't noticed anything poor (again, minus the Spanish) about the style of writing. It certainly fits the story, and for this I give Anaya props. I don't find Bless Me, Ultima by Rudolfo Anaya interesting in the slightest, and since it takes such a long time to read, I strongly dislike the book and would not recommend it to anyone.

1 comment:

  1. I laughed out loud when I read the shout out to me. Keep on keepin' on Jim.

    ReplyDelete