Search This Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Stephen Hawking, "Equal to Anything!"


Here is the link to the article.

     Stephen Hawking has always been a huge inspiration of mine. About a year ago, I watched a ridiculously long documentary of him that focused primarily on his work on black holes. It was interesting and informative. It covered everything from the dark monsters to string theory to greater dimensions. I watched Curiosity with Stephen Hawking, a fantastic production that disproved any sort of creator. Click here if you want to watch it; I will not argue any more about whether or not there is a god. He is one of the visionaries of the modern age, and he held the Lucasian Professor of Mathematics for 30 years at the University of Cambridge. He is an extraordinary human being, and this biography about him will certainly assist us at holding him in the highest regards.
     I learned a new word today: fetter. It is a chain or a shackle. This is perfectly appropriate for the title of the biography. Although Hawking may be immobile due to illness, his mind is very much free. I thought the excerpt from the biography was rich. One would probably think that such a book would be a bland story about some boring physicist's life, but there actually is some really beef (meaning drama) in his life. Actully, this article didn't tell me much I didn't already know. As we move into 2012, I cannot wait to see what Hawking discovers concerning life, the universe, and everything.

Also, his first wife wrote a book of memoirs, if I can find it I will read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment