Search This Blog

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Duh! 11 Obvious Science Findings of 2011


Here is the link to the article.

     Scientific American strikes again! This time around, we have a hilarious article with something to actually discuss linguistically! I know, right! Okay, the article contained eleven apparent human and animal behaviors that are proven through science. All of them were confirmed, hold on, actually, I think it would've been funny to put one down, such as "99% of adults get hammered on New Year's Eve" and then disprove it. They probably have an article like that somewhere, but I'm not going to dig for it right now. My favorite one was smoking pot and driving is not safe. I wonder what they did to disprove it, I mean smoking it is illegal, so how are they able to put it to the test? Hmm...very suspicious indeed. I also wonder how much these tests cost, when in actuality, we didn't need them at all. I realize that it is never safe to assume in science, but come on. Pigs like mud, okay? Why else would they sit in it all day? Did they get stuck? Someone, somewhere spent a good deal of money to "determine" if these things are true.
     I think there is beauty in these words. The sheer simplicity is what really turns the reader on. Read just the titles of the findings. All of these could be a major part of a stand-up comedian's routine. I believe this was to further articulate the substance of the article. Keeping it short, clean, and crisp was the aim, and it was achieved well. If you haven't noticed, I've been writing this blog in contrast; I am quite wordy and I tend to run on. Anyhow, I would highly suggest reading this article, as it is a great break from most of the depressing "Outrage" articles us Language and Composition students often write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment