Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Funny, You're So Sad

Here is the link to the article.

     I haven't read the article yet. However, before I do, I will take the time to say that this entire post will be about the linguistic style of David Hill because I feel like I've been getting off-topic as of late. I will be right back.

     Back. Hill used a fair amount of rhetorical devices which is actually better than most of the Times Columnists already. However, it was not to the point of abuse so that it took away from what he was trying to say. An example of one would be the providing of examples. He would do it indirectly, never coming out and rattling off a list, instead telling his story while he did so. "The more comedy shows I went to, the more I began to think like a comic. Every insight I would have, every observation, every anecdote, I subconsciously turning into jokes. The scenes in my real life played out in my head as stories told on stage framed by a spotlight - each beat followed by a comforting blanket of laughs from a sympathetic audience," (Hill). He expresses his longing for a comedic experience in which he nails his jokes and is recognized as a good guy.
     You have to feel bad for him; David Hill has been through a lot. Not to sound pretentious, but I like the fact that he doesn't dwell on his losses. He offers the information without remorse, coolly even, without looking back. He has an it-is-what-it-is attitude, and you can tell he doesn't want to trip over the minor details that could potentially take away from his plot. Douglas Adams once wrote something along the lines of "I never got the hang of Tuesdays" in The Guide and never mentioned it again. Not throughout the entire "trilogy". David Hill's voice was smooth, almost relaxing if it were not for his revelation of the truth of most comedians. His use of pathos and ethos compliment each other, however, there is an absent of logos. Let's be honest though, there is little logic in comedy ( I am not hating I swear). Anyhow, it was a nice read, and it actually had some lyrical worth. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment