Search This Blog

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Will Dropouts Save America?

Here is the link to the article.  Michael Ellsberg is a visionary. You must read this. It could be the most important thing you will ever read.

     It royally pisses me off whenever someone comments on my grades being inadequate. I choose exactly what my grades are. I could have straight A pluses, but it is not worth it. I don't want to go to Oxford. I have a cousin who went to Harvard and  cousin who went to Yale, and neither of them seem any different than anybody else I know. A school is a school, no matter how small. When you empty your pockets to pay for your child's education, you are paying to rename them. You stamp them with an insignia that will tell their future employers about what they learned in school. If you are unhappy with your kid's name, whose fault is that?
     I can only muster two complaints about the article. The first is the fact that Ellsberg never closed his parenthesis in paragraph five. The second is that he argues extremes. If everybody was to drop out of college, nobody would have the skills learned in school, and this would make a higher education valuable. Plus, when he cites all the people in the beginning, he uses people that have made it big time. Not everyone can do that, and this does draw away from the appeal slightly, but the average reader wouldn't give it a second thought. He had to do that because if he didn't people would be utterly confused as to who he was talking about, and he wished to stay direct and to the point. This article has put into words what I wish to say to my mom the next time she tells me she dreams of me going to an Ivy League school. Ivy League does not equate to a better education, job, and life.

4 comments:

  1. I think this article is really interesting. For the last few generations, when only some people went to college, it might have seemed like a great goal to aim for. Now, however, it's almost expected that people go to college, especially around here. I might ask someone "where are you thinking about going to college?" but it wouldn't cross my mind to ask "are you planning on college after high school?" When you really think about it, most jobs don't really require a college degree. Of course, I think it might be a little misleading to suggest that being a college dropout could make you the next Bill Gates, but I definitely think the article has a point. Before every decision people make in life, they should take a step back and wonder what the ultimate purpose is. If they're going to college just because they're "supposed" to, maybe it isn't the best idea for them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha i don't know if you tried to make a horton hears a who reference but i loved it! "A person is a person, no matter how small!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's some merit to the argument. I like the logic of ambitious people going to college.

    ReplyDelete