Search This Blog

Sunday, October 2, 2011

London theater to stage Shakespeare's plays in 37 languages

He is said to be the one true master of the English language. William Shakespeare has written a total of 37 plays in addition to four poems and 154 sonnets. He owned the Globe Theater, located in London, England, where his works were performed by his troupe, King Chamberlin's men. For the very first time, you can witness the performance of all of these plays at the modern Globe Theater! What's more, they will be in 37 different languages!
Hold on. It's tough to comprehend Shakespeare in English, never mind Mandarin Chinese. Anybody who attends this event will likely have their head explode as a result of attempting to decipher the 37 tongues. This article raises a great point though. If you already know the 37 stories, it should be fun trying to follow along. I have seen Shakespeare's collected works bound into one book, and I know a person who has read it cover to cover. I can see why it would be cool; it would be like me going to see Doctor Who re-enacted in Gallifreyan. An interesting trip to England nonetheless.

3 comments:

  1. Did you watch the Dr. Who marathon Saturday? Love that show, glad I'm not alone. And these Shakespeare plays only gives me another thing to add to the list of reasons why I should move to England!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just look at the title and url of this blog...huge whovian, and I think moving to England is the only sensible thing one can do with their life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son might go for a tour of London in January, including Shakespeare's Globe and the BBC studio. Jealous!

    ReplyDelete